The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak was formerly a "beerhouse" called the Nag's Head. Enoch Durber acquired the premises from Thomas Durber, who we assume was his father, on 28th July 1854. Further land and outbuildings were acquired from Samuel Taylor, a schoolmaster from Talk-oth-Hill, and William Cooper of Post Hill Villa.
On 12th July 1898, the Nag's Head was sold by Enoch Durber to Alfred Chew, a licensed victualer of Hanley, for £1,360. It was during this transaction that the name was changed to the Royal Oak, and became a fully licensed "ale house". The deal also included the stables, piggeries and out offices, which at the time were being used by Daniel Lovatt Senior, together with land measuring 986 sq yds or thereabouts.

Photo by kind permission of Mick and Dot (Royal Oak)