The following are extracts
taken from the Parish Magazine, concerning St.Thomas' Church.
- In 1899 it cost the church a total
of £12-9-0 for the year in wages, for the cleaning of the church, the ringing
of the bell, and blowing and playing the organ
- That the Bill for the Church insurance,
for the year 1901-1902 was 14 shillings, that the weekly offering for this
year amounted to £21-14-8d
- That from Easter 1903 that the church
was closed for alteration and to be redecorated, all services were taken
in the Sunday School, the church was reopened by the Bishop of Lichfield.
- At a meeting on Easter Monday March
28th 1910 it was agreed that Mr Dale (choirmaster) was to be
paid £2 salary a year
- On Monday 26th Feb 1917,
there were 43 people from this parish confirmed here at this church by the
Bishop of Lichfield
- That on April 16th 1918
it was decided to put another £15 in the war bonds, we know have £35 towards
our new church.
- On November 10th 1918 there
were 33 people from this parish confirmed here by the Bishop of Lichfield.
- On April 27th 1919 in recognition
of the work that is being done by Mrs Griffiths (caretaker) it was agreed
to pay her 30 shillings bonus, and also that her salary be raised to £13
- Ref, Sunday school Treat Saturday
20th July 1918
The weather had threatened to be bad all week, and so it was, but the children
had a good tea. And then they were allowed to play in one of Mr Thursfields
fields but the rain came on heavy again and put a stop to that.
- 24th Septemebr 1935 -A
meeting took place regarding graveyard fees, it was suggested to raise the
fee by 5/- making the cost of digging a new grave 15/- but after much disscussion
it was though that this would be far too much and the fee of 12/6 was agreed
- That on March 28th 1938
the gas lamp on the church gate had blown down during the gale, and a new
one with a back reflector was to be fitted on the church wall. The iron
bar over the church gate was to be taken down. The work was done by the
Gas Company at a cost of £3-4-9d
- May 2nd 1939- A meeting
took place to discuss what to do in the event of war breaking out, it was
decided that the committee be enpowered to do such things as required.
- March 18th 1940 -A meeting
was called regarding the times of the evening service, and it was decided
to bring it to an afternoon service before incurring the cost of blackouts
for the church.
- March 18th 1942 - The church
council have been informed, that as from this week, that the church gates
and the Sunday School gates and the railings that surrounded them both will
be removed for scrap to go and help toward the war effort.
- May 20th 1942 - We are
sorry to report that we are still having a lot of trouble with vandals,
who are abuseing the Sunday School toilets and damaging them. It has been
agreed that we shall have, to have a new door and new locks and that they
be closed to the public, and only opened when the Sunday School is in use.
It was also agreed that prosecution should follow for any other damage done.
- July 24th 1946 A meeting
has taken place to discuss the possibility of electric lights being installed
in the Sunday School. Mr. Hancock had done a survey for the work and given
his estimate, the price, £38, with shades being extra, it was greed that
Mr. Hancock should be given the job.
- August 12th 1847 It has
come to the church's notice that cinemas were going to be opened on a Sunday,
it was the councils view that this was wrong, and should not happen, therefore
the Vicar and Mr Jess Lawton, being the Church's Synod Representative, were
to go along and let the Synod know the feelings of the people of St.Thomas'
Church Mow Cop.